Lab 12 Model Ecosystems Lab Activity
Use your textbook, notes and this website to answer the pre lab questions. http://www.vtaide.com/png/foodchains.htm http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/F/FoodChains.html http://www.mbgnet.net/
Pre Lab Questions:
1. What is the ultimate source of energy for all organisms on this planet?
2. List the biomes of the Earth.
3. What biome do we live in here in Philadelphia?
4. What attributes define a biome?
Click on the link below to access the online lab. http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/genbio/virtual_labs_2K8/pages/ModelEcosystems.html
Download and print the instructions for reference as you work through the lab. As you work through the lab fill in the table below. Use this information to answer the questions that follow contained in this document.
5. Complete all five ecosystems and record your data in Table 1. The different ecosystems are listed across the top. Fill in the data for each trophic level for each ecosystem. For the numbers click on the [Pyramid of Numbers] button. Next click on the [Pyramid of Energy] button. Calculate the Energy Conversion Efficiency Ratio (ECE) by dividing the higher trophic level energy by the energy one trophic level down.
List the organisms by name. Provide the number of organisms present. Provide the amount of energy present. Calculate the ECE value. This value will be a decimal value. There is no ECE calculation for producers as you would have to divide the producer energy by the amount of energy provided by the sun. We dont have that value. I have done the first column for you. 🙂
If you have any organisms out of place in the pyramid you will not be able to get the numbers you need to complete the calculations. You need to move the various organisms to their correct positions in order to continue.
See the Table 1 in attachment
Just so you know exactly how to calculate the ECE
A = 623/6011 = .103
B = 61/623 = .097
C = 6/61 = .098
Post Lab Questions
6. What is the relationship of numbers to energy as you go up the trophic levels?
7. From the ecosystems you studied in this lab, which one is the most efficient? Explain how you determined your answer.
8. What would happen to an ecosystem without decomposers?
9. From the ecosystems you studied in this lab, which one is the most productive? (This cannot be the same as question 7) Explain how you determined your answer.
Attachment:- bio table.docx
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers
Hello The Homework Helpers Support