LAB Book Used: Leboffe and Pierce (2016). Brief microbiology laboratory theory and application (3rd ed.) Englewood, CO: Morton Publishing. ISBN: 9781617314773
Exercise 2-1(Ubiquity of Organisms):
Answers to these questions should show an understanding of why things grew the way they did and should not just repeat the observations in the table.
1. Did temperature have any effect on the growth of the organisms? Explain how you came to this conclusion.
2. Were you surprised in any way by the amount of growth on any of your plates? Explain which plates surprised you and in what way. If you were not surprised, explain why not.
3. Why would I recommend that students do not sample the work benches as a source of inoculum from the room?
4. Why was the plate that was left open to air left open for so long?
5. Are the organisms that are present on your plates pathogens or something else? Explain your thinking.
6. What limitations are present in this experiment regarding the culturability of organisms in general?
Exercise 5-7: Citrate Test
Exercise 5-10: Starch Hydrolysis (Amylase Test)
1. What is the purpose of having an uninoculated tube as a control? Please consider the purpose experienced lab technician would need this control, not why you, the student, might want one.
2. What molecule is being degraded (potentially) in Ex. 5-10? In which category of the four possible macromolecules would you place this molecule?
3. Why is it necessary to be sure to lightly inoculate the citrate medium rather than put lots of organism on the slant?
4. What use (other than seeing if the result is positive or negative) can a microbiologist make of results of metabolic testing of bacteria?
1. Citrate can be transported into the cell and used for energy metabolism. What enzyme is required for citrate transport? Why do cell that do not have this enzyme fail to grow on the medium?
2. What is the approximate pH of uninoculated citrate agar? Why does the loss of citrate affect the pH of the medium? What metabolic byproducts are made that also affect the pH of the medium?
3. Does the presence of ability to do the Krebs cycle in a cell indicate whether the cell will be able to use the citrate agar? Explain.
4. Why is it better to let the starch plates incubate longer than the prescribed time and not less than the prescribed time? Explain in terms of enzymes and substrate (what happens in the plate during incubation). Explain how this relates to the aIDition of iodine only after incubation in the starch plate.
5. What enzyme is used to break down the starch in the starch agar? Is this an exoenzyme or an endoenzyme? Explain your thinking.
6. Why is glucose never an ingredient of starch agar?
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers