1. After falling off his bicycle, an 8-year-old boy has a large abrasion on his posterior thigh where the epidermis in the region has been removed but the dermis is largely intact. Which of the following changes in the integumentary system would be expected in the area of his wound?
A) Profuse bleeding from removal of his epidermis
B) Fewer Merkel and Langerhans cells in the region
C) Exposure of the underlying subcutaneous tissue
D) Removal of hair follicle roots from the area of the wound bed
2. Which of the following statements best conveys an aspect of the process of keratinization?
A) Keratin cells synthesized in the dermis migrate to the surface over 20 to 30 days.
B) Mitosis that begins with the cells of the stratum granulosum results in a continual supply of new keratinocytes.
C) The stratum germinativum continuously produces new keratinocytes to replace losses.
D) The basal cells of the epidermis migrate to the skin surface at a rate that matches superficial losses of skin cells.
3. A nurse is teaching a patient about the role that skin plays in forming a barrier to environmental agents and microorganisms. The nurse would recognize that which of the following types of cellular junctions binding keratinocytes is most responsible for this function?
A) Gap junctions
C) Adherens junctions
D) Tight junctions
4. A 40-year-old male patient has a congenital syndrome that affects the function of the Langerhans cells of his epidermis. The man’s care provider would expect which of the following manifestations of his condition?
A) Increased susceptibility to infection
B) High permeability of his epidermis to environmental materials
C) Lighter skin tone than other individuals of the same ethnicity
D) Frequent separation between the dermal and epidermal layers of his skin
5. Clinical investigation of a 40-year-old female patient with diverse dermatologic signs and symptoms has focused on the woman’s basement membrane. Which of the following skin functions would a clinician most likely attribute to a region of the integument other than the basement membrane?
A) Lack of sensory nerve impulse conduction
B) Formation of blisters on various skin surfaces
C) Lack of adhesion between the dermis and epidermis
D) Large immunoglobulin deposits
6. Which of the following components of immune function is absent in the dermis?
B) T cells
C) Lymph nodes
D) Mast cells
7. A 51-year-old woman who was born congenitally blind and deaf is able to distinguish individuals by lightly touching the individual’s face. Which of the following components of the woman’s skin innervation likely contributes the most to this ability?
A) Ruffini corpuscles
B) Meissner corpuscles
C) Pacinian corpuscles
8. A frustrated 26-year-old female has sought a referral to a dermatologist in an effort to resolve her sweating and body odor that persists despite good hygiene. Which of the following facts would underlie the explanation that her physician provides about her problem?
A) Sebaceous secretions vary in both quantity and constituency between individuals.
B) Excess production by eccrine sweat glands, combined with bacteria, produces a characteristic odor in moist areas of the body.
C) Apocrine sweat glands produce a substance that is oilier than sweat from other sources.
D) Occlusion of sebaceous glands in the axillae and groin results in proliferation of microorganisms.
9. Which of the following structures would likely be present in a hair follicle in a man’s groin but not in a follicle on his face?
A) Arrector pili muscle
B) Sebaceous gland
C) Apocrine gland
D) Hair papilla
10. A man’s primary care physician has characterized his skin lesion as being a temporary eruption but has cautioned him against repeated rubbing or scratching to avoid lichenification. What is the most likely categorization of the man’s skin lesion?
A) A blister
B) A corn
C) A callus
D) A rash
11. Following exposure to poison oak while camping, a 20-year-old male is experiencing pruritus as a consequence of his immune response to irritants in the plant. What physiologic process best accounts for his complaint?
A) His body is communicating a low level pain response as a protective measure.
B) Free nerve endings are initiating an itch-specific signal to the somatosensory cortex.
C) Local irritation of Langerhans cells is sending signals by way of myelinated type C nerve fibers.
D) Ruffini corpuscles are transmitting the message of pruritis to the cerebral cortex.
12. An 81-year-old woman has noted a gradual decrease in the moisture of her skin over many years. Which phenomena associated with the aging process are known to contribute to her xerosis? Select all that apply.
A) Separation of the basement membrane from adjacent dermal and epidermal layers
B) Changing composition of sebaceous gland secretions
C) Flattening of the dermal rete ridges
D) Decreased moisture secretions from sweat glands
E) Decrease in skin capillaries
13. The skin is richly supplied with arteriovenous anastomoses, in which blood flows directly between an artery and a vein, bypassing the capillary circulation. What is the primary significance of these structures?
A) They regulate body temperature.
B) They process sensory information.
C) They control the formation of “goose bumps.”
D) They combat skin infections.
14. Which of the following facts accounts for the variation in skin tone that exists between individuals?
A) Someone with dark skin has more melanocytes in his or her skin layers.
B) Darker-skinned individuals have melanosomes that produce melanin faster.
C) Dark skin is associated with spherical melanosomes, which produce and “package” pigment differently.
D) Greater numbers of keratinocytes result in darker skin tone.
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers