On your own and without assistance, complete this Lab 5Answer Sheet electronically and submit it via the Assignments Folder by the date listed intheCourse Schedule (under Syllabus).
To conduct your laboratory exercises, use the Laboratory Manual located under Course Content. Read the introduction and the directions for each exercise/experiment carefully before completing the exercises/experiments and answering the questions.
Save your Lab 5Answer Sheet in the following format: LastName_Lab5 (e.g., Smith_Lab5).
You should submit your document as a Word (.doc or .docx) or Rich Text Format (.rtf) file for best compatibility.
1. Compare and contrast mitosis and meiosis.
2. What major event occurs during interphase?
Experiment 1: Following Chromosomal DNA Movement through Meiosis
Data Tables and Post-Lab Assessment
Trial 1 – Meiotic Division Without Crossing Over Beads Diagram:
Take pictures of your beads for each phase of meiosis I and II without crossing over. Include notes with your name, date and meiotic stage on index cards in the pictures. Please use the lowest resolution possible so that your file does not become too large to submit.
Insert pictures here:
Trial 2 – Meiotic Division with Crossing Over Beads Diagram:
Take pictures of your beads for each phase of meiosis I and II with crossing over. Include notes with your name, date and meiotic stage on index cards in the pictures. Please use the lowest resolution possible so that your file does not become too large to submit.
Insert pictures here:
1. What is the ploidy of the DNA at the end of meiosis I? What about at the end of meiosis II?
2. How are meiosis I and meiosis II different?
3. Why do you use non-sister chromatids to demonstrate crossing over?
4. What combinations of alleles could result from a crossover between BD and bd chromosomes?
5. How many chromosomes were present when meiosis I started?
6. How many nuclei are present at the end of meiosis II? How many chromosomes are in each?
7. Identify two ways that meiosis contributes to genetic recombination.
8. Why is it necessary to reduce the number of chromosomes in gametes, but not in other cells?
9. Blue whales have 44 chromosomes in every cell. Determine how many chromosomes you would expect to find in the following:
i. Sperm Cell:
ii. Egg Cell:
iii. Daughter Cell from Mitosis:
iv. Daughter Cell from Meiosis II:
10. Research and find a disease that is caused by chromosomal mutations. When does the mutation occur? What chromosomes are affected? What are the consequences?
11. Diagram what would happen if sexual reproduction took place for four generations using diploid (2n) cells.
Experiment 2: The Importance of Cell Cycle Control
For each of the five abnormalities you find online, copy and paste a picture of it (and be sure to cite the URL for the picture)-you will not be photographing your own results for this section of lab, because you’re doing your research online for the questions below.
Data Tables and Post-Lab Assessment
1. [paste in your online picture and cite the URL]
2. [paste in your online picture and cite the URL]
3. [paste in your online picture and cite the URL]
4. [paste in your online picture and cite the URL]
5. [paste in your online picture and cite the URL]
1. Record your hypothesis from Step 1 in the Procedure section here.
2. What do your results indicate about cell cycle control?
3. Suppose a person developed a mutation in a somatic cell which diminishes the performance of the body’s natural cell cycle control proteins. This mutation resulted in cancer, but was effectively treated with a cocktail of cancer-fighting techniques. Is it possible for this person’s future children to inherit this cancer-causing mutation? Be specific when you explain why or why not.
4. Why do cells which lack cell cycle control exhibit karyotypes which look physically different than cells with normal cell cycle.
5. What are HeLa cells? Why are HeLa cells appropriate for this experiment?
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers