1. Humans have 46 chromosomes whereas chimpanzees, gorillas, and orangutans have 48. These apes possess two pairs of acrocentric chromosomes that are not present in humans but that are morphologically very similar to the long and short arms of the large submetacentric human chromosome 2. Suggest a mechanism that could account for the different chromosome numbers present in humans and apes.
2. An individual with Turner’s syndrome and afflicted with the X-linked recessive trait nystagmus is produced by parents that are both phenotypically normal. The individual has a brother that is also afflicted with nystagmus and a brother that is phenotypically normal. Is it the paternal or maternal X that is missing in the Turner’s syndrome female? How do you know?
3. How many chromosomes would be found in somatic cells of an allotetraploid derived from two plants, one with N=7 and the other with N = 10?
4. If a normal diploid cell possessed 24 chromosomes, what is the chromosome content (number) of the following:
A. Nullisomic ________
B. Monosomic ________
C. Tetrasomic ________
D. Triploid ________
E. Tetraploid ________
5. A mating between his+, leu+, thr+, pro+, strs cells (Hfr) and his-, leu-, thr-, pro-, strr cells (F-) is allowed to continue for twenty-five minutes. The mating is stopped and the genotypes of the recombinants determined. What is the first gene to enter and what is the probable gene order?
6. The DNA from a prototrophic strain of E. coli is isolated and used to transform an auxotrophic strain deficient in the synthesis of purines (purB-) and pyrimidines (pyrC-).
A. What is map distance between the loci?
B. Calculate the co-occurrence (cotransfer) index (r).
7. A woman in her mid-twenties has a Down syndrome child. She is told by her misinformed physician that she should not worry too much about having another child, since the chance of the child having Down syndrome would be no greater than the average frequency of 1 in 1500 for pregnant women of her age. Why might the physician by incorrect? What test should be done on the parents before advising the woman?
8. In three different interrupted mating experiments, you obtain the following data for the time of entry of the following genes: arg, met, leu, ser, gal, val, and phe. All of these experiments were conducted using Hfr strains (Hfr 12, Hfr 2, and Hfr 3) derived from the same original strain of E. coli.
Determine the order of these genes on the bacterial chromosome and draw a single map showing the position of each of these genes on the bacterial chromosome. Based on the time intervals above, indicate the map distances between each gene, expressedin minutes. Also show the origin of transfer and direction of transfer for each Hfr.
9. P1 transduction was done to determine the order of the faID, gap, and pabB genes relative to each other. The donor was faID-gap+ pabB- and the recipient was faID+ gap- pabB+. Gap+ transductants were selected. The coinheritance of the nonselected markers are shown in the table below.
A. Calculate the cotransduction frequencies.
B. Assume the average length of the transducing DNA (L) is 1.8 minutes and calculate the map distance (d) between the loci.
C. Construct a linkage map showing the order of the genes and map distances between them
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers