In previous chapters, we learned that life is very diverse. Organisms range from single cells to multi-celled. Some organisms cannot even be seen with the naked eye. Is diversity increasing or decreasing? In the future, will we have more organisms? Does our population play a role in the lives of other organisms? Should we be considered if an organism goes extinct? The following exploratory activity will help you understand threats to organisms, what is being done to save them and how organisms are classified.
Computer with internet access
1. Go to: http://www.redlist.org/ or copy and paste the aIDress into your web browser.
2. In the search term, box type in the word cheetah.
3. Click on the scientific name for cheetah.
4. Read the information and answer the following questions.
Questions 1 – 20 are short answer questions and should be answered in a few words. Total: 80 points
Type all answers directly in the data sheet text boxes and upload the data sheet as a .doc, .docx, or .rtf file with your last name and student number when finished. You may need to adjust the textbox size to display all text.
1. What is the IUCN Red List?
2. What is the scientific name for the cheetah?
3. What is another common name for the cheetah?
4. In what red list category are cheetah classified?
5. In what part of Africa are most cheetahs found?
6. What is the population trend?
7. How many total cheetahs are thought to be alive currently?
8. In what habitat and system do cheetahs live?
9. Cheetahs can run up to speeds of 103 km per hour. How fast is this in mph?
10. In which Kingdom is the cheetah classified?
11. In which Phylum is the cheetah classified?
12. In which Class is the cheetah classified?
13. In which Order is the cheetah classified?
14. In which Family is the cheetah classified?
15. List three major threats to cheetahs.
16. What (if anything) is currently being done to protect the species?
17. Do cheetahs mate with the same cheetah each mating season?
18. Due to the decreasing population numbers, is genetic diversity a concern?
19. What does it matter if this species goes extinct? In other words, why is it important?
20. In your opinion, can this species be saved or is it too late? Briefly explain your answer.
Question 21 is an extended response question. Your response should be at least 100 words in length.
21. Considering what you have learned from this activity and the textbook chapters, explain your thoughts about the following statement: “Humans rely on other organisms for survival; however, other organisms would be better off without humans.” Take a stand and argue for or against this statement.
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers