1. Patients with chronic bronchitis have excessive mucus production and general inflammation of the entire respiratory tract. The mucus narrows the airways and makes breathing difficult. Explain what does narrowing of the airways do to resistance of the airways to air flow?
2. Why do people with chronic bronchitis have a higher than normal rate of respiratory infections?
3. Compare the possible consequences of breathing too rapidly with the possible consequences of breathing too slowly.
4. If alveolar ventilation increases, what do you predict will happen to arterial PO2? To arterial PCO2?To venous PO2?To venous PCO2? Explain.
5. When the pulmonary blood flow to a lung is blocked, as by embolus, the region may survive on its bronchial flow. Why does the affected lung region continue to expire CO2 but not to take up significant O2?
6. What congenital defects underlie left-to-right shunts that increase PO2 first in the 1) right atrium, 2) right ventricle, 3) pulmonary artery?
7. Explain why normal people can function very effectively even when their systemic arterial PO2 is only 40 mm Hg (e.g., hypoxic hypoxia of high altitude), which is the same tension found in normal mixed blood.
8. Discuss whether edema-filled alveoli constitute a diffusion defect (the barrier is too thick) or a ventilation/perfusion problem (the alveoli are full of liquid). If the alveolar-arterial oxygen partial pressure difference was found to be 300 mm Hg while the subject was breathing oxygen for 10 minutes, what would you conclude about the mechanism of the arterial hypoxemia?
9. Describe how the oxygen supply to skeletal muscles is regulated at rest and during vigorous exercise.
10. Various drugs can antagonize the carbonic anhydrase in circulating red blood cells. What changes might you expect in the blood or in the body if you studied a person before and after such a substance had been taken? Distinguish between early (non-steady-state) events and steady-state events.
11. Severe hemorrhage increases peripheral vasoconstriction and heart rate. Why does it cause rapid breathing?
12. Why does left ventricular failure or mitral valve dysfunction cause elevated pulmonary blood pressure?
13. What would happen to the following in a person suffering from an acute asthma attack (bronchoconstriction)?
COPD also known as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a general term for respiratory disease and includes both the conditions of chronic bronchitis as well as emphysema. As a result of emphysema or chronic bronchitis, the airway can become narrow and they are very common amongst the leading causes of respiratory distress and in most scenarios have been found to happen together. COPD basically refers to this distress as a result of chronic bronchitis or emphysema or could be both
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers