Analogies are often effective strategies for communicating complex materials and concepts. In BCHM 100 we have already encountered at least two analogies, DNA as a “blueprint for life” and as a “recipe for life”. Although we argued in class that the recipe analogy is superior and that the blueprint analogy has some flaws (there is no picture of you in the nucleus of your cells), even the flawed analogy of the blueprint has some value. For example, it does at some level communicate that like the information in DNA, a blueprint contains the information needed to construct a building to those who are competent to interpret them.
The in-class components of this assignment are as follows:
1) Form groups of 3 people.
2) Identify as a group the essential components (things, actions, etc.) that need to be “analogized” to describe PKU. If you are unsure of some aspects of the topic, please ask for clarification!
3) Decide which of the following would form the best basis for an analogy for PKU:
4) Using the specific focus of the analogy that you have chosen, develop an analogy that explains as much of PKU as possible and as clearly as possible. You are free to invoke as many other items or details as you wish so long as you base your analogy around the specific focus you have been assigned. Remember that an analogy is meant to be simpler and easier to understand than the original concept, not more difficult!
5) Be ready to present your analogy to another group and defend why the basis you chose is the best one to describe PKU.
6) Critique another group’s analogy by describing 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses of their analogy.
The homework assignment is to create a new analogy to explain PKU that does not use any of the items discussed in class. Describe this analogy as outlined below using a typed response of no more than two pages, single spaced in 11 point font. Each individual in class should generate their own independent analogy for this homework assignment (no groups).
1) Describe your analogy in the same amount of detail as would be required to explain PKU to someone who has little background in biochemistry.
2) Provide a list that explains how each item or action in your analogy corresponds to an item or action in the assigned topic.
3) Discuss strengths and weaknesses of your analogy.
Each part is worth 5 points.
1. Analogy quality
a. Does the analogy reasonably accurately describe what happens ina person with PKU?
b. Have the important points of PKU been captured by the analogy? If not, were they discussed as weaknesses of the analogy?
c. Is the analogy easy to understand?
d. Is the analogy explained at sufficient depth such that someone with little background in biochemistry could understandit?
e. Are therefactual inaccuracies?
2. List of analogy components
b. Phenylalanine hydroxylase
c. Phenylalanine hydroxylationto tyrosine
d. PKU / defective phenylalanine hydroxylase
f. Phenylalanine aminotransferase
h. Phenylpyruvate blocking pyruvate transporter
i. Production of ATP
3. Discussion of strengths and weaknesses
a. Have the weaknesses of the analogy been identified and discussed?
b. Have the strengths of the analogybeen identified and discussed?
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers