Bauman, R.W. (2015). Microbiology with diseases by body system (4th ed.) San Francisco: Pearson Benjamin Cummings. ISBN: 9780321918383
Chapter 11: Characterizing and Classifying Prokaryotes
General Characteristics of Prokaryotic Organisms
2. Identify which two genera of bacteria we associate with the production of endospores. Explain the types of conditions that lead to endospore formation and how the cell benefits from endospore production.
3. Why are endospores difficult to destroy? What is the name of the process of endospore formation? How does the process work? How is it reversed? Explain how endospores are different from fungal spores.
4. Five types of reproduction have been observed in prokaryotes. Which type of reproduction is the most common format? Name and describe all five (descriptions should allow the reader to differentiate the types)Modern Prokaryotic Classification
7. How many total phyla are there for prokaryotes? How many archaeal domains are there? How many bacterial phyla?Survey of Archaea
8. Describe the common features that distinguish archaea from bacteria.
9. Describe the characteristics of following subtypes of archaea: extremophiles, thermophiles, hyperthermophiles, and halophiles.Survey of Bacteria
12. Explain the concept of nitrogen fixation. Explain why nitrogen fixation is important for the earth. Explain the contribution of prokaryotes to this process.
Chapter 12: Characterizing and Classifying Eukaryotes
General Characteristics of Eukaryotic Organisms
14. Looking at the 20 most frequent microbial causes of death listed in the text, how many are caused by eukaryotes? What are two examples of deadly eukaryotic, microbe-caused diseases?
15. “Eukaryotic reproduction is more complicated that prokaryotic reproduction.” Describe four aspects of eukaryotic reproduction that support this statement.
16. Describe what is being divided in the process of nuclear division? What is the difference between a haploid cell and a diploid cell? Why does a diploid organism need to do nuclear division in order to reproduce sexually?
18. Describe the difference between mitosis and meiosis. You should describe differences in the steps of the processes themselves as well as describe number of cells made, if the starting/resulting cells are haploid or diploid, and why the cell would do each process.
21. Describe the major characteristic that most current taxonomists use to classify eukaryotes into kingdoms.Protozoa
22. Describe the four key characteristics that almost all protozoans share.
24. Protozoa can form trophozoites and cysts. What are these structures and how do they contribute to pathogenesis? What bacterial structure is similar in function to a cyst? What conditions can the trophozoite and the cyst survive?
28. Describe the two key characteristics of fungi. What is the function of chitin in the fungal cell? What is mycology?
30. Explain what a mycosis is. Approximately haw many fungi can produce mycoses?
34. Describe the basic characteristics of all algae. What is phycology?
Other Eukaryotes of Microbiological Interest: Parasitic Helminths and Vectors
40. Explain the difference between mechanical and biological vectors.
41. Describe what arachnids are and what they look like. Identify the two key organisms in this category that microbiologists are interested in and explain why microbiologists have an interest.
42. Describe what insects are and what they look like.Identify the five key organisms in this category that microbiologists are interested in and explain why microbiologists have an interest.
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers
Hello The Homework Helpers Support