1. Define partial pressure and how it is calculated.
2. Compare the partial pressure at sea level and at the top of Mt. Everest. Explain why, if oxygen is still at the same concentration in both locations, the partial pressure of oxygen is different.
3. Write Fick’s equation of diffusion and explain how each variable influences gas exchange.
4. Discuss which part of Fick’s equation is most affected by being at sea level versus on top of Mt. Everest.
5. Explain why breathing compressed air helps humans climb to the top of Mt. Everest.
6. List three reasons why it is easier to obtain oxygen from air than from water.
7. Discuss adaptations different aquatic animals have to assist them in obtaining oxygen from water.
8. Explain why even though humans obtain oxygen from air they still deal with moving oxygen through water.
9. Explain why temperature increases are doubly problematic for aquatic animals.
10. Give examples of respiratory adaptations that enhance transport via the following means: surface area increase, ventilation, and perfusion.
11. Define ventilation and perfusion and how they affect Fick’s Law.
12. Diagram the ventilation and perfusion of a gill and explain how countercurrent flow enhances respiration.
13. Describe tidal ventilation.
14. Label the parts of the human respiratory system.
15. Discuss the function of the pleural membranes.
16. Describe the adaptations of the mammalian lung that provide a large surface area and minimize the diffusion path length.
17. Describe the mechanical events that produce inhalation and exhalation during normal breathing and exercise.
18. Label a figure depicting lung volume and changes in lung volume.
19. Discuss the function of the inspiratory and expiratory reserve volume.
20. Explain why the residual volume exists.
21. Discuss the structure and function of hemoglobin.
22. Explain the binding of oxygen to hemoglobin and how this is affected by PO2.
23. Explain how myoglobin acts as an oxygen reservoir to aid muscle action during exercise.
24. Compare the affinity of adult and fetal hemoglobin for oxygen.
25. Describe the effects of pH on hemoglobin and explain how that enhances the delivery of oxygen to tissues.
26. Describe the process of CO2 circulation in the blood.
27. Describe breathing regulation via the brain and the heart.
28. Discuss the relative effects of changes in PCO2 and PO2 on ventilation rates.
29. Predict the effects of low blood pH (also called acidosis) on ventilation rates.
30. Predict the effects of exposure to CO on oxygen and carbon dioxide levels in the blood.
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers