1. What can be said about the diversity of life in the splash zone compared to that of the submerged zone?
There is less biodiversity in the splash zone because there is varying salinity. There is more diversity in the splash zone because there are fewer predators. There is more biodiversity in the splash zone because there are more nutrients available. There is less biodiversity in the splash zone because there is a lower average temperature.
2. When a dolphin jumps, it moves its muscles and chemical potential energy is converted to kinetic energy. Some of this energy is lost to the dolphin. Explain why this phenomenon does not violate the Law of Conservation of Energy. The dolphin is a closed system, so energy is allowed to exit the system. The energy is transferred to waves in the surrounding water. The muscles recapture the energy when they relax after contractions. The Law of Conservation of Energy does not apply to biological systems.
3. What is the average salinity of the world ocean? 0.02 percent 3.5 percent 22.9 percent 59.6 percent
4. Coal-fired power plants release emissions such as nitrogen compounds into the air. The nitrogen and water cycle combine when nitrogen returns to the soil as acid rain through which water cycle process? Precipitation Respiration Transpiration Nitrification
5. What evidence suggests that the ocean influences climate change? The ocean absorbs carbon dioxide. The ocean releases carbon dioxide. The ocean moves cold water to the Arctic. The ocean moves warm water to the equator.
6. You are on a field trip and are recording the amount of mass in a volume of water. What are you measuring? The concentration of bacteria in seawater The concentration of dissolved oxygen in seawater The concentration of salt in seawater The density of seawater
7. How does climate change affect the ocean ecosystem? Climate change causes waves to be smaller in the Northern Hemisphere and larger in the Southern Hemisphere. Climate change causes ocean currents to stop in the Northern Hemisphere and in the Southern Hemisphere. Climate change increases temperatures in the ocean. Climate change decreases temperatures in the ocean.
8. Trichodesmium is a nitrogen-fixing cyanobacteria. Why might this cyanobacteria be important to other organisms in nitrogen-poor waters? They convert atmospheric nitrogen (N2) to organic compounds including ammonia (NH3). They convert inorganic nitrogen to ammonia (NH3) in the ocean. They convert organic nitrogen compounds to into other nitrogen compounds. They convert nitrates from the water into nitrogen gas (N2) that is released into the atmosphere.
9. What adaptations allow organisms to survive in the supralittoral zone of a rocky beach? The ability to endure little sun exposure and to live underwater The ability to endure both long periods of time without water and little sun exposure The ability to both attach to solid materials and endure long periods of time without water The ability to both attach to solid materials and endure long periods of time in low temperatures
10. Seasonal variations in ocean temperatures can impact the populations of living organisms in the ocean despite the high specific heat of water. How would herbivores initially be affected by these changes? Due to the high specific heat of the ocean, the change in temperature would be small, so the phytoplankton population would thrive, allowing herbivores to decrease in number. Due to the high specific heat of the ocean, there is not much temperature change, so there would be no impact on the phytoplankton population, and no impact on the number of herbivores. Higher ocean temperatures allow for phytoplankton to bloom, increasing the food available to herbivores, allowing herbivores to increase in number. Lower ocean temperatures allow for phytoplankton to bloom, increasing the food available to herbivores, allowing herbivores to increase in number.
11. In general, how do most nutrients reach the mesopelagic and bathypelagic zones? Nutrients sink into these zones from the epipelagic zone. Nutrients diffuse into these zones from deeper water. Nutrients are produced by phytoplankton living in these zones. Nutrients are produced by zooplankton living in these zones.
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers
Hello The Homework Helpers Support