1. What is the portal for selective export of mRNA out of the nucleus?
D) Nuclear Matrix
E) Nuclear Pore Complex
2. When microtubules grow out of a centrosome, which end is oriented away from the centrosome?
A) the plus end
B) the minus end
C) the N-terminal end
D) the C-terminal end
E) the 5′- end
3. When a microtubule is growing, the plus end is present as an open sheet to which GTP-dimers are aIDed. A cap of GTP-dimers can often form on the growing microtubules during rapid growth periods. How does this cap form?
A) Tubulin dimers are aIDed to the microtubule slower than the GTP is hydrolyzed.
B) Tubulin dimers are aIDed to the microtubule faster than the GTP is hydrolyzed.
C) Tubulin dimers are aIDed to the microtubule at the same rate as GTP is hydrolyzed.
D) Dimers circularize during rapid assembly periods.
E) Dimers are hardened during rapid assembly periods.
4. The presence of what ion appears to be necessary for connecting the ciliary (axonemal) dynein arms to the A microtubules of the axoneme?
5. Which organelle below is not found in both plants and animals?
A) cell membrane
6. The position of a gene on a chromosome is referred to as a(n) ________.
7. What is the process by which complementary RNAs are synthesized from a DNA template?
C) protein synthesis
8. Which of the following is normally associated with the cilia of organisms from protists to mammals?
A) a 9 + 1 pattern
B) a 9 + 3 pattern
C) a 9 + 4 pattern
E) None of these are correct.
9. What protein component do all MTOCs share?
10. Which of the following regulate intracellular levels of Ca2+ ions?
A) Golgi apparatus
C) endoplasmic reticulum
E) both endoplasmic reticulum and mitochondria
11. What is defined as a domain of the inner mitochondrial membrane that is present within the interior of the mitochondrion as a series of invaginated membranous sheets?
A) inner boundary membrane
B) outer boundary membrane
12. What was the original strain of fruit flies called?
A) wild ones
C) wild type
D) normal type
E) dominant type
13. In what form are proteins and neurotransmitters usually transported down the axon of a nerve cell?
A) individually by diffusion
B) in groups of ten
C) inside transport vesicles
D) inside the Golgi complex
E) tied individually to microtubules
14. An unusual type of phospholipid is found in the myelin sheath that insulates brain axons; abnormalities in the synthesis of this phospholipid can lead to severe neurological dysfunction. What are these phospholipids called?
15. The macromolecular complex that associates with each intron and splices it is called a(n)
E) splicing vesicle
16. What phenomenon below seems to accompany closure of the microtubule?
A) ATP hydrolysis
B) hydrolysis of GTP bound to dimers
C) hydrolysis of GDP bound to dimers
D) hydrolysis of GTP bound to trimers
E) phosphorylation of GDP bound to dimmers
Section III_Extended Multiple Choice; clearly circle the letter corresponding to the best answer and explain your rationale. Answer six of the following questions.
1. What causes the appearance of large chromosomes in the salivary glands of Drosophila
A) The cells divide at a faster rate.
B) The cells grow and synthesize DNA, but fail to divide.
C) The cells swell osmotically.
D) The cells take up extra DNA from the extracellular milieu.
E) The chromosomes take in water and swell.
2. Which organelle below is not found in both plants and animals?
A) cell membrane
3. In cell biology and with respect to microtubules and microfilaments, the word “dynamic” means ________.
4. Elevated temperatures at which temperature-sensitive mutants do not work are called ________ temperatures.
5. Which of the following is not a normal property of eukaryotic mRNAs?
A)They contain a continuous nucleotide sequence encoding a specific polypeptide.
B) They are found in the cytoplasm and inside the Golgi complex.
C) They are attached to ribosomes when they are translated.
D) Most have a significant noncoding segment that does not direct assembly of amino acids.
E) Eukaryotic mRNAs have special modifications at their 5′ and 3′ termini.
6. Where are misfolded secretory proteins eventually destroyed?
A) in the RER
B) in the SER
C) in the Golgi complex
D) in the cytosol (cytoplasm)
E) in the nucleus
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers