1. In the presence of a metabolic poison that specifically andcompletely inhibits the function of mitochondrial ATP synthase, which of the followingwould you expect?
A) a decrease in the pH difference across the innermitochondrial membrane
B) an increase in the pH difference across theinner mitochondrial membrane
C) increased synthesis of ATP
D) oxygen consumption to cease
E) proton pumping by the electron transport chainto cease
2. In the 1940s, some physicians prescribed lowdoses of a drug called dinitrophenol (DNP) to help patients lose weight. This unsafe method wasabandoned after a few patients died. DNP uncouples the chemiosmotic machinery by making the lipid bilayerof the inner mitochondrial membrane leaky to H+. What impact does this have on ATP production?
A) reduces substrate level phosphorylations
B) increases substrate level phosphorylations
C) reduces oxidative level phosphorylations
D) increase oxidative level phosphorylations
E) This would have no impact on ATP production.
3. Cyanide is a poison that blocks the passage ofelectrons along the electron transport chain. Which of the following is a metabolic effect of thispoison?
A) The lower pH of the intermembrane space is muchlower than normal.
B) Electrons are passed directly to oxygen, causingcells to explode.
C) Alcohol would build up in the cells.
D) NADH supplies would be exhausted, and ATPsynthesis would cease.
E) No proton gradient would be produced, and ATPsynthesis would cease.
4. Which kind of metabolic poison would mostdirectly interfere with glycolysis?
A) an agent that reacts with oxygen and depletesits concentration in the cell
B) an agent that binds to pyruvate and inactivatesit
C) an agent that closely mimics the structure ofglucose but is not metabolized
D) an agent that reacts with NADH and oxidizes itto NAD+
E) an agent that inhibits the formation of acetylcoenzyme A
5. A young relative of yours has never had muchenergy. He goes to a doctor for help and is sent to the hospital for some tests. There they discover hismitochondria can use only fatty acids and amino acids for respiration, and his cells produce more lactatethan normal. Of the following, which is the best explanation of his condition?
A) His mitochondria lack the transport protein thatmoves pyruvate across the outer mitochondrial membrane.
B) His cells can not move NADH from glycolysis intothe mitochondria.
C) His cells contain something that inhibits oxygenuse in his mitochondria.
D) His cells lack the enzyme in glycolysis thatforms pyruvate.
E) His cells have a defective electron transportchain, so glucose goes to lactate instead of to acetyl CoA.
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers
Hello The Homework Helpers Support