1. There is consensus among scientists that humans are causing the climate to warm. Why might this warming impact biological productivity in the deepest ocean zones? Use the figure below to aid in answering this question.
a) Warming may slow or halt the formation of cold dense water in polar regions, reducing the delivery of carbon dioxide to depth, and slowing aerobic cellular respiration and productivity in deeper zones.
b) Warming may slow or halt the formation of cold dense water in polar regions, reducing the delivery of nutrients to depth, and thereby reducing productivity in deeper zones.
c) Warming may slow or halt the formation of cold dense water in polar regions, reducing the delivery of phytoplankton to depth, and thereby reducing productivity in deeper zones.
d) Warming may slow or halt the formation of cold dense water in polar regions, reducing the delivery of well oxygenated water to depth, and thereby slowing aerobic cellular respiration and productivity in deeper zones.
2. Looking at the map below, predict what type of boundary is present and the resulting features of the boundary at the Philippine Plate and the Eurasian Plate.
a) Earthquakes; volcanic activity; island chains
b) Fault lines; shallow earthquakes
c) Mid-ocean ridge; Fault lines; creation of new seafloor
d) Mid-ocean ridge; widening of ocean basin; creation of new seafloor
3. Scientists have been studying threats to coral reefs. The figure below shows where threats to reefs have increased (dark shading) and where they have decreased (light shading). Explain the most effective way that scientists could use this information to design a new study aimed at developing reef protections.
a) Scientists could compare environmental conditions in reefs located around Australia that are dark-shaded with those near Florida that are light-shaded to understand how they differ, because those reefs are far enough apart that there will be little overlap in their characteristics and the many differences will be more apparent.
b) Scientists could compare environmental conditions in reefs located around Florida that are dark-shaded with close-by, light-shaded reefs to understand how they differ, because those reefs are more likely to be similar in many ways than reefs that are far apart.
c) Scientists could compare environmental conditions in reefs randomly selected around the world to increase the chance that they differ in important ways.
d) Scientists could compare environmental conditions in reefs indicated in blue randomly selected from around the world to get the most variable set of conditions possible and to make good comparisons.
4. A newly formed volcanic island can trigger which process in an ocean ecosystem?
a) Primary succession
b) Secondary succession
c) Convergent plate boundary
d) Divergent plate boundary.
5. When constructing new buildings, architects and engineers might include ponds, lawn cover, and gravel beds in the design. Why might this type of ground cover be a requirement by a city’s water board?
a) It increases desublimation of rainwater.
b) It increases the amount and quality of runoff.
c) It decreases the amount of water that will evaporate.
d) It allows for better absorption and filtration of rainwater.
6. When glaciers melt, water is returned to groundwater storage by what means?
7. An oceanographer discovered new seafloor being formed in the ocean at a divergent fault. The scientist classifies this as a trench. Is the scientist correct or incorrect and why or why not?
a) He is incorrect. Trenches are narrow openings occurring at subduction zones.
b) He is incorrect. Trenches are flat areas at the foot of continental shelves.
c) He is correct. Trenches are ancient volcanoes whose tops have eroded away.
d) He is correct. Trenches are areas between continental shelves and deeper ocean floors.
8. In 2015 in Alaska, an enormous number of walrus females and their calves gathered on a single beach. In the past, the walruses would use sea ice as a place to rest and nurse their calves, but due to human activity and global warming, large amounts of the ice have melted. Explain what consequences could happen to the walruses and their ecosystem in this situation over time.
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers