Assignment #2 and #3 -Journal Bi-weekly activity ScienceDaily.com
Throughout the semester, students will be instructed to post an article from ScienceDaily.com related to topics discussed in lecture. Students should come to class prepared to share their findings.
Objective: Students increase their awareness of research in the field of biology and discuss effects on society
1. Visit ScienceDaily.com and select an article
2. Click on “Tools” then on “Journal”Follow instructions under the “Journal tab”
1. post your selected article title and link
2. summarize article and methods used
3. describe effects of findings on society
4. Where should we go from here with this information?
Disease/ Disability Essay
Disease Essay Assignment S-2016.docx (19.975 KB)
The purpose of this assignment is to allow you to apply meaning to your understanding of how the cell works.
Are there consequences to a poor diet or lack of exercise?
How do our genes affect our suscebtibility to disease?
Exactly what happens in the aging process that makes us more susceptible to disease?
Are certain cultures more susceptile to particular diseases?
How can technology assist in our treatment and prevention of disease? And how can this same technology be, at times, controversial in nature?
“Disease”/”Disorder” take-home assignment
Research one of the following diseases/disorders/disabilities listed below (or another of your choice). Explore something that has personally affected you or a family member. Choose something that you are interested in that has personal meaning to you!
Write a short essay 450-550 words (3-4 pages double spaced) that roughly follows the format below. Find one awesome video to accompany your topic and site three reputable web sites. I am primarily concerned with why you choose this diseaseand why you are interested in educating the public on your topic.
1. Introduction -Why do we care?
1. Historical context; why did you pick this disease/disability?
What family member or friend is afflicted with this disease?
Is this disease (or topic) impacting society or particular groups in a negative way?
Perhaps you are interested in learning more about unknown cause of this disease?
Are there controversial or ethical concerns relating to this disease /or treatment or related research?
1. what type of disease (or problem) is this?
– chromosomal abnormality
– nutritional abnormality
2. How was this disease (or problem) discovered (or diagnosed?
3. Are only certain members of society affected? Does this disease effect only the elderly? Women or men? Particular cultures susceptible to it?
1. What are the signs and symptoms?
2. Is early diagnosis available? Describe the technology (if any) for the following:
1. pre-natal testing
2. gene testing
3. blood tests
3. Research being conducted : (6 points)
1. cell therapy
3. cell therapy
4. prognosis for future patients and affect on society Ways to educate public? Final thoughts? (6 points)
Possible sources for Diseases
The following diseases are just ideas for you to use. You may select any disease or disability!
1. a “nutritional disease”/metabolic disorder: (obesity, diabetes, hypertension, Osteosporosis , http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22259/
2. disease of the cells (unregulated cell growth: cancer)
3. Chromosomal abnormality (Downs syndrome, cyctic fibrosis, color blindness, sickle cell anemia …. etc) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genetic_disorders
4. autoimmune diseaseshttp://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000816.htm
5. viral diseases http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_disease(hepatitis, rabies, herpes, smallpox, HIV etc….)
6. bacterial disease http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Bacterial_diseases (anthrax, botilism, Lyme disease, syphillis, typhoid fever)…
7. Psychological disease /mental disorder http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mental_disorders (anorexia,bulimia, bipolar disorder, alcoholism, autism, AID, ADHD…… etc)
8. Prion diseases: (Alzheimer’s, Mad-cow disease etc…..) http://www.cyber-dyne.com/~tom/prionSP.html(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creutzfeldt%E2%80%93Jakob_disease
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers