1. The bank you own has the following balance sheet: (2 points)
Reserves $ 75 million Deposits $ 500 million
Loans $ 525 million Bank capital $100 million
If the bank suffers a deposit outflow of $50 million with a required reserve ratio on deposits of 10 percent, what action must you take to keep your bank from failing? Show underlying work
2. Suppose you are the manager of the bank that has $15 million of fixed-rate assets, $30 million of interest rate sensitive assets, $20 million of interest rate insensitive liabilities and $20 million of interest rate sensitive liabilities. (4 points )
a. Is the bank rate sensitivity gap positive or negative? Explain why
b. What is the size of this bank rate gap?
c. If the short-term interest rates rise by 5 percent by what amount will the bank profit increase or decrease?
d. What action should the bank take to reduce the interest-rate risk? Explain
e. If the short-term interest rates fall by 5 percent, by what amount will the bank profit increase or decrease?
f. What action should the bank take to reduce the interest-rate risk? Explain
g. Explain how you can use the interest rate swaps to reduce the bank interest rate risk.
3. Suppose you are the manager of the bank that has $15 million of fixed-rate assets, $30 million of interest rate sensitive assets, $20 million of interest rate insensitive liabilities and $20 million of interest rate sensitive liabilities. (2 points)
a. Is the average duration of the bank s assets greater than the average duration of its liabilities? Why?
Further assume that an average duration of the bank s assets is of 3 years while an average duration of its liabilities is of five years.
a. Conduct a duration analysis for the bank, and show numerically what will happen to the bank capital if short-term interest rates rise by 2 percentage points.
b. What action should the bank take to reduce interest rate risk? Explain
4. Briefly explain whether you agree with the following statements:
a. A bank that expects interest rates to increase in the future will want to hold more of rate -sensitive assets and fewer rate- sensitive liabilities
b. A bank that expects interest rates to decrease in the future will want the duration of its assets to be greater than the duration of its liabilities
c. If the bank manager expects interest rates to fall in the future, the manager should increase the duration of the bank s liabilities
Extra Points (4 points)
1. Because diversification is a desirable strategy for avoiding risk, it never makes sense for a bank to specialize in making specific types of loans . Is this statement true false or uncertain? Explain your answer
2. Before 1933, there was no federal deposit insurance. Was the liquidity risk faced by banks during those years likely to have been larger or smaller than is today? Briefly explain
3. Suppose that you are considering investing in a bank that is earning a higher ROE than most of the banks. You learn that the bank has $300 million in assets in bank capital and $5 billion in assets. Would you become an investor in this bank? Briefly explain
4. When bank lends long and borrows short, an increase in the interest rates will drive down the bank s profits . True or false? Explain
Why Choose Us
Top quality papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional academic writers
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you feel that we missed something, send the order for a free revision. You will have 10 days to send the order for revision after you receive the final paper. You can either do it on your own after signing in to your personal account or by contacting our support.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & confidential
We use several checkers to make sure that all papers you receive are plagiarism-free. Our editors carefully go through all in-text citations. We also promise full confidentiality in all our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
You are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper. Our academic experts will gladly help you with essays, case studies, research papers and other assignments.
Admission help & business writing
You can be positive that we will be here 24/7 to help you get accepted to the Master’s program at the TOP-universities or help you get a well-paid position.
Editing your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you submit a well-structured and organized paper just on time. We will ensure that your final paper is of the highest quality and absolutely free of mistakes.
Revising your paper
Our academic writers and editors will help you with unlimited number of revisions in case you need any customization of your academic papers